Cardamom Spiced Pear Turnovers
1 package puff pastry
2 cups diced bosc pears about 2 medium pears
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tsp granulated sugar plus a bit extra for sprinkling
1 1/4 tsp cornstarch
1 1/4 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch sea salt
1 tbsp fresh orange juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg + 1 tsp water whisked for brushing
- In a medium bowl, add the pears, both sugars, cornstarch, both spices, sea salt, orange juice, and vanilla. Mix everything together until combined.
- Remove one sheet of puff pastry from the refrigerator, and on a lightly floured surface roll into a 10” x 10” square. Use either a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut the dough into 4 equal sized squares.
- Place about 2 heaped tablespoons in the the center of each square. Using either a moistened finger, or a pastry brush dipped in water, wet the edges of each square with a small amount of water. Carefully fold each square over to form a triangle. Once folded, use your finger to press the edges together.
- Use the back of a fork to crimp the edges of the turnover. Carefully place the turnovers on a tray lined with parchment paper and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes. Repeat this process once more time for the second sheet of puff pastry.
- Turn the oven on and select its bake setting and preheat it to 375°F. Remove 2-3 turnovers from the fridge and place on the Wolf Gourmet baking pan that’s been lined with parchment paper. Cut 2 small slits into each turnover, and brush each one with the egg wash. Sprinkle each turnover with a bit of granulated sugar and place in the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until browned and puffed. Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack for around 5-10 minutes. Enjoy warm, or at room temperature.
- Follow this process to bake the remaining turnovers, or freeze them and save for another time. To save for another time, simply freeze the turnovers on a tray, then transfer to a ziplock bag. Before baking, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at the same temperature, although the baking time will take about 5-10 minutes longer.