Scallops with bacon popcorn and sweetcorn
This delicate yet fun dish of scallops with bacon popcorn and sweetcorn is ideal for summer entertaining. Searing the scallops on the precise Miele TempControl Induction Hob, will ensure the perfect texture and flavour
100g popcorn kernels
8 king scallops
4 corn on the cob, husks removed
For the velouté
1 banana shallot, finely diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
100ml white wine
250ml double cream
For the bacon crumb
100g smoked bacon, finely diced
Micro coriander, to garnish
Appliance tip: Scallops can also be steamed to retain their delicate flavour. Just steam for 3 minutes in a Miele Steam Oven on 90°C before pan frying very quickly on both sides to caramelise.
Food tip: Any leftover sweetcorn velouté can be used to flavour a risotto. Stir through a couple of tablespoons before adding parmesan and butter.
- In a Miele Steam Oven, steam the corn cobs on a perforated steam container for 1 hour on 100°C. Allow to cool before removing the kernels.
- For the velouté, sweat the shallots and garlic in a saucepan on setting 7 of a Miele Induction Hob with some olive oil. Add three quarters of the sweetcorn kernels and the white wine. Allow the alcohol to reduce to almost nothing and add the cream. Cover with a lid and cook on setting 3 of the induction hob for 10 minutes.
- Blend the sweetcorn mixture until very smooth, check the seasoning and keep warm until needed.
- For the crumb, fry the bacon until crispy, drain well and reserve the fat. Allow to cool and chop very finely until it looks like crumbs. Keep aside.
- Make an envelope of greaseproof paper and fill with the popcorn kernels. Fold over the open edge of the bag and place on the glass microwave tray. Cook the popcorn in a Miele Microwave using the popcorn programme. When ready, add a tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat and the bacon crumb. Mix well and keep aside.
- To toast the remaining sweetcorn, place a frying pan over setting 7 on a Miele Induction Hob, add the sweetcorn kernels and cook until slightly charred. Transfer to a mixing bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- To cook the scallops, preheat a frying pan over a medium high heat. If using TempControl on a Miele Induction Hob, select setting 2. Brush the scallops with some oil, season lightly and fry for 2 minutes per side.
- To serve, place a spoonful of sweetcorn velouté onto each plate, followed by the scallops (allowing 2 per person). Scatter over the bacon popcorn and toasted sweetcorn. Finish with a garnish with micro coriander.